Friday, March 14, 2014


Our DaVisionaire Blog Spot Interview with Akilah Jae'







1. Please introduce yourself to our readers? What city are you reppin'?
My name is Akilah J. Roberts, also known as Akilah Jae’. I am a singer/songwriter right out of St. Louis, MO. However, I currently attend Columbia College Chicago as a vocal performance major.


2. When did you first get inspired to become a singer and how did you get discovered as an artist?
I actually can’t recall a certain moment when I decided that I wanted to be a singer. Singing has always been my passion, but when I was a child I only did it for fun. Now I do it for fun and as my profession. I started writing my own songs at the age of eight and started taking vocal/piano lessons at the age of nine. So I guess one could say that is when I was discovered. Ever since then I have taken lessons, been in choirs, competed for State and have continued to write my own music.


3. What genre of music do you do and how is it different from other artists in the same genre?
I can do a lot of genres, but I am definitely an R&B artist with a hint of jazz inspiration. What makes me different from other R&B artist is that I try to reach more than one type of audience. My music is directed towards younger listeners and an older audience.

4. Were you inspired throughout your career, if so who inspired you in the music industry growing up and why?
I was inspired by a lot of people and a lot of things growing up. I won’t list names and specifics because there are so many. In general, I am inspired by success and happiness. All I want is to be able to do what I love and maintain humble and happy at the same time. In this industry, artists stray away from their initial goals and plans because they get distracted by things they think they want and need. I am really moved by the artists who are following their dreams and growing as well.

5. How do you keep inspiration when creating music?
It’s not easy to find inspiration when I’m writing my music. A lot of the times I have to have something on my mind in order for me to make a hit. My best music is created when I’m talking about something I am passionate about or I place myself in someone else’s shoes, depending on the topic.






6. What is your legendary you are enforcing during your career?
When people think of “Akilah Jae’” I want them to think of me as more than just an artist. I want them to know my story and know that I am just like them. I come from a very interesting background and I think that I have a right to share my story through my music. I also want people to look at me or listen to my music and know that I am an artist who talks about real things, things that matter. I write my music to touch hearts not to impress the norms.

7. Tell us about one of your most diverse songs and why?
As of right now, I'm working on diversifying my music.

8. What are some of your other talents?
Other than singing and songwriting, I also have a passion for dance. I’ve been dancing since I was the age of four. I started off at COCA, and then I continued at a dance studio called Charley’s Body Shoppe. My favorite types of dance are ballet, modern, jazz and hip hop.

9. Who are some of your favorite artists to listen to?
I have ALWAYS loved Beyonce; I have followed her throughout her whole career. Aside from her, other female artist I like are Rihanna, Ciara, Jessie J, Janelle Monae, Alicia Keys, Lauren Hill, Jhene Aiko, Sevyn Streeter, Melanie Fiona, Kelly Rowland and Christina Aguilera to name a few. As far as male artists, I like listening to Chris Brown, Frank Ocean, Trey Songz, Miguel, August Alsina, and John Legend.

10. Where do you see your career in 5 years?
Honestly, I’m not sure where I see myself 5 years from now. What I do know, is that I plan to be very accomplished and successful by then. I will be finished with school with a degree in Music Business. Hopefully, I will have an album or two out by then.

11. Enlighten us with the projects you are working?
Right now my main focus is successfully finishing this semester of school. Outside of school work I am working on a show that will take place in Chicago in May. I’m also working towards dropping my first EP by the end of this year.

12. List some of the goals you want to accomplish this by the end of this year?
By the end of this year, I want to have at least two of my songs playing on the radio. In order for that to happen, I have to widen my fan base and make connections with people that can help take me to the top. Also, as I stated before, I plan to have my EP finished by the end of the year.

13. Feel free to link us to your videos, music, photos and contact information
You can check new music on my sound cloud page!

Follow me on IG at www.Instagram.com/AkilahJae

And don't forget to check out my latest video on YouTube! http://youtu.be/PkrOFsaliAI



You can also follow us on Twitter @idavisioniare for all the latest davisionaire news 



For any business inquires, send an email to RichVisionMedia@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected